Position: Medical Technologist (molecular)
Location: Joint Pathology Center, Walter Reed Medical Center: Silver Spring, MD 20910
IBEX IT Business Experts is looking for a Medical Technologist
The Medical Technologist (Molecular) for the Joint Pathology Center (JPC) will be responsible for performing specialized genetic studies related to the diagnosis of genetic, neoplastic and infectious diseases, solving highly complex diagnostic problems, and modifying or adapted new methods or techniques to improve or expand services. The employee performs complex and unusual tests and studies requiring specialized knowledge and skills using Next-Gen Sequencing Technology (NGS), such as polymerase chain reaction assays, in-situ hybridization, gene amplification and deletion studies and nucleic acid sequencing.
The employee will be required to obtain and hold a DHA security clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science, biology, or related field from an accredited college or university. May be required to obtain and maintain a certification from either the National Certification Agency (NCA) Certification as a Certified Laboratory Specialist in Molecular Biology, CLSP (MB) or the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Certification with a Certification of Molecular Pathology, MP (ASCP) to perform the work of this position.
- Knowledge of professional medical technology principles, practices, and concepts (and the theories and techniques unique to oncology) sufficient to develop and establish procedures for oncologic determinations; perform the more difficult and infrequent tests in the section; evaluate, modify, and implement new methods; and participate in the selection of supplies and equipment.
- Knowledge and skill to consult with physicians on regulatory requirements to follow in attempting to confirm the diagnosis of a patient; provide technical instructions on problems others have been unable to solve by use of established decision criteria; and advise specialists in other sections of the laboratory or other departments of the hospital on advanced molecular techniques, and in molecular aspects of cancer etiology/diagnosis.
SPECIFIC TASKS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties of the Medical Technologist employee include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Determines procedures for molecular biologic tests relevant to diagnostic molecular oncology which are performed in the laboratory.
- Develops and implements the use of protocols for performance of tests and evaluation of results. Monitors conformity to protocols. Develops procedures and establishes parameters for correlation of test results and preset troubleshooting protocols.
- Defines reference values/ranges using statistical methods; sets up and monitors record keeping system and effective quality control procedures. Identifies/implements changes needed in the quality assurance program.
- Prepares reagents and control materials for diagnostic molecular oncology assays.
- Evaluates the validity of data in relation to the test system and assay procedures. Integrates and correlates test data with other laboratory and patient data to lead to a conclusion about the normality of a system.
- Determines corrective actions for problems which arise either during the course of testing or in sample preparation and handling.
- Develop and validate Next Generation Sequencing assay for clinical sample test and assisting clinical diagnosis
- Knowledge of Illumina Sequencing Technology, Next-Gen Sequencing Technology, Sequencing DNA Technology, Real-Time polymerase chain reaction (Real-Time PCR)
- Provide data analysis and validation along with the use of testing protocols.
- Computer Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to produce quality documents
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to breakdown complex problems into manageable pieces.
Skills Used DNA and RNA extraction, DNA library preparation, DNA library barcode labeling, library extraction and quality and quantity analysis, DNA library clonal amplification and enrichment, next generation sequencing, data analysis and clinical report creation.
JOB TYPE: FULL TIME CONTRACT POSITION
Apply for this position below:
[NEXForms id=”2″ ]